Total Cost of Ownership for GESCI, Kenya
Impiger helped The Global e-Schools and Communities Initiative (GESCI), an UN ICT Wing in design, development and implementation of Total Cost of Ownership tool to identify and assess technology options and configurations suitable for schools, their benefits, feasibility and total cost of ownership (TCO) for educational institutions.
GESCI, the Global E-Schools and Communities Initiative, is a non-profit organization founded by the United Nations in 2003. GESCI, with its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, provides strategic advice to relevant Ministries in developing countries on the effective use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) within the context of inclusive Knowledge Societies. GESCI works with governments across 16 African countries and African Union Commission in delivering programmes in the areas of ICT in Education, Digital schools’ development, teachers professional development, Youth Skills Development and Leadership Capacity building for senior level government officials for Knowledge Society development in Africa.
- The existing TCO tool was designed using Microsoft Excel which is 10 years old and a standalone system.
- This requires significant redesign to be web based, interactive and updated with current and emerging technology trends and changes in the ICT ecosystem, digital learning resources development, teacher professional development, ongoing support to schools, monitoring and evaluation and programme management expenses.
- The tool captures all the expenses associated with capital and recurring costs for various options and provide a consolidated summary for the educational planners and policy implementers.
Impiger designed and developed TCO Tool with below features
- User Management Module - which consist Sign Up/Registration, Login, Role based access to users (Education Planners, Local Govt. Officials, School Administrator, Accountant and ICT Co-ordinator), Configuration feature.
- Institution Profile Management Module - Provisions to capture Institution Details, school/institution context (no. of teachers, administrators and students), Physical Structure of the School/Institution (type of walls, length of corridors, spread of classrooms and end- to -end distances etc.,), The user can capture data for one or more school(s)/Institution(s)
- TCO Budgeting Module - Provision to enter the complete requirements, its prices and other details like
- Implementation plan (No. of years)
- Input technology energy usage
- Input device life cycle
- Provide options to input labor details (Like FTE, Average salary, etc..)
Based on the input provided by the user, the system can auto-calculate, the following but not limited to
- Calculate total client devices
- Calculate Annualized Cost for Client Hardware
- Calculate Annualized Cost for Server Hardware
- Calculate Annualized Cost for Network Equipment
- Calculate Direct Labor's total FTE and Annual cost etc.,
- Report Module - Report and Dashboard be viewed as below but not limited to
- Total Costs (Direct and Indirect)
- Total Direct Costs
- Asset Metrics with client device details
- Initial Implementation Costs
- Running/Recurring Costs
- Asset Cost Metrics (Hardware costs)
- Direct Labor Cost Metrics (Cost by labor type)
- Direct Labor Staffing Metrics
- Indirect Labor Cost Metrics (Total Indirect labor costs)
- Indirect Labor Survey Results (Calculated from survey input)
- Energy Usage Calculator Results
- Indirect Labor Activities - Calculates costs from the worksheet
The tool helped in capturing the expenses associated with capital and recurring costs for various options and provides a consolidated summary for the educational planners and policy implementers.
Client: Global e-Schools and Communities Initiative, an UN-ICT wing. Year-2019. Industry- Government. Platform- Web