Impiger helped Uganda’s Ministry of Education with a mobile based information inspection system to collect data such as pupil attendance, teacher attendance, child abuse, hygiene facilities, infrastructure, violence, and much more. The system currently helps the committee to improve planning, budgeting and timely execution of programs to improve the schooling system.
Uganda’s Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Sports is a leading model for e-government in Africa and is continually building reliable digital systems in-order to deliver better governance to its citizens. The Ministry (MoESTS) is responsible for providing technical support, guidance, coordination, regulation and quality education promotions and training to all persons in Uganda for national integration, development and individual advancement.
MoESTS is responsible for the general executive administration of education, science and technology. The Ministry and the World Bank wanted to incorporate technology into its programs aimed at improving the quality of:
- Primary education by ensuring pass rates in literacy and numeracy.
- Post-primary education by ensuring achievements attainment targets and pass rates in English, Mathematics, Science and Information Technology.
- Ensure equal access by gender, district and special needs at all levels of education.
- Build capacity of districts by helping education administrators acquire and improve on their knowledge, skills and attitudes to be able to plan, monitor, account and perform managerial functions.
MoESTS and the World Bank chose Impiger to build the technology, based on our strong proposal, pricing, and expertise — out of many international applicants — to build a solution to achieve all their strategic objectives.
Impiger developed a mobile based information inspection system to be used by school inspectors to collect data such as pupil attendance, teacher attendance, child abuse, hygiene facilities, infrastructure, violence, and many more. The collected data is visualised via charts, graphs, and a number of other visual aids to an appropriate managing board in the Ministry and the World Bank. Using the information, the committee and ministry improves planning, budgeting and timely execution of programs to improve the schooling system.
- SMS based polling for data collection
- Flexible polling system allowing users to design, create, send SMS question trees
- Dynamic form builder solution facilitating in swift form creation and instantly sync with mobile app
- GPS based inspectorate mobile app allowing offline based inspection at ease
- Web application for DES inspectors / officials to manage the inspection tools, monitor and analyze the inspection data
- Role based access/login for officials, regional level, district level, and national level
- The data analytical tool gives a 360-degree view of the inspection Data
- Integrated dashboard allows detailed drill down of reports with enhanced chart/map view of:
- School inspection record
- Indicator based report
- Inspector’s usage report
- Audit trail for dashboard users
- Audit trail for inspectors
- IIS is a scalable ecosystem that connects to existing on premises school information systems
- It can collect media evidence and capture signatures
Before the new solution was implemented, the ministry had to rely on a labor-intensive, manual process of moving papers from office to office, attend a review meeting at the district level and collate all the inspection data manually and prepare a consolidated summary and submit to the directorate. Impiger’s e-governance solution drastically reduced time, money, and work involved by moving the process to a digital platform. The pilot program implemented for 4121 schools in 27 Districts, with 4000+ reporters helps the ministry to improve education with the following:
- Measures the implemented education programs and monitors according to plan and sustaining the desired result
- Collects actionable data for a number of parameters to improve the program
- Creates an evidence‐based dynamic monitoring and evaluation system for education