Kintetsu world express
Impiger helped Kintetsu world express (KWE), a leading freight service provider, build a universal shipment tracking application for all their locations and solve scalability, and support challenges.
Kintetsu world express is a leading provider of air freight, ocean freight, customs brokerage, surface logistics and distribution (3pl) services. KWE delivers cargo to any market around the world. With terminal and office locations in virtually every major city nationwide, they are ranked among the country’s top ten international freight forwarders in the U.S.
The KWE team was using a desktop application developed over 20 years ago with legacy technology to track and manage shipments. This application formed the core tool for KWE’s day-to-day operations and it needed an upgrade to the latest technology with additional features. In the older application, support was a major pain-point for the client as they had to maintain multiple versions of the software to support different countries across the globe. This caused issues in scalability, maintainability of the user applications.
Impiger was roped into upgrading KWE’s shipment tracking web application to be used by the client’s employees. The new solution was built using Java, HTML5, Kendo, SOLR, Kafka Messaging, Shiro, Hazel cast, Oracle and Mongo DB technologies. The features of the Impiger’s upgraded solution are:
- A web based user application with responsiveness allowing the user to use the application from any device
- Created an abstraction layer for the server allowing different applications to connect with the server seamlessly
- 3-tier architecture allowing the ability to roll out different applications for a different user community
- Centralized user management and access management across the application
- Redesigned user interface
In addition, a ‘pickup and receive receipts’ module was built to enhance the scope of the solution.
The new application helps KWE with better accessibility over the web, low-cost maintenance at all their locations, scalability, and support for internationalization.