Inspection Information System for Ministry of Education and Sports, Uganda
Ministry of Education and Sports partnered with Impiger to design, develop and implement School Inspection system to collect, consolidate and analyse data which is used by Ministry official in designing Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP) related to Uganda Teacher and School Effectiveness Project (UTSEP).
Impiger helped MOES built Inspection which consist of Mobile Application for inspectorate officials to capture data and Web Application for the officials to consolidate and analyse data.
The Government of Uganda through the Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Sports has received a grant from the Global Partnership of Education (GPE) administered by the World Bank. The World Bank is acting as the supervising entity for the grant.
At the national level, project implementation is the responsibility of Government, mainstreamed in the Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Sports (MoESTS) through Basic Education & Teacher Education Departments, Directorate of Education Standards (DES), the Uganda National Examination Board (UNEB), the National Curriculum Development Centre (NCDC), Instructional Materials Unit (IMU) and Construction Management Unit (CMU), under the coordination of the Department of Education Planning & Policy Analysis that also houses the Monitoring and Evaluation Unit.
UTSEP used part of the proceeds to payments under the contract for Design, Supply, Installation and Commissioning of Inspection System in the Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Sports.
- School Inspection tool: Innovative GPS based smart phone & web-based solution for inspecting schools. This application will be used by Inspectors to carry out inspection at schools. The inspectorate tool is about inspectors using a smart phone during their inspections of schools and providing a report faster than the paper-based system. Web application for DES inspectors / officials to manage the inspection tools, monitor and analyse the inspection data
- School Monitoring System: Mobile-phone based data-collection / Reporting system – This schools self-reporting using SMS on what is happening at school allowing district inspectors to take action at school and district level. Data is sent into the system on a regular basis like pupil attendance, teacher attendance, child abuse, hygienic facilities at schools etc.. Data is collected more frequently at school levels and gives real time information on schools. It helps DES ( Directorate of Education Standards) to improve their planning for education and provides better and more timely supervision to schools based on the reports received in the system)
- Integrated Dash board: The collected data is projected via charts, graphs, and a number of other visual aids to an appropriate managing board. Using the information, the committee/ministry can improve planning, budgeting and timely execution of programs to improve the schooling system.
- All the information which are captured through the tools is integrated into the API layer of the solution
- Integrated dashboard allows detailed drill down of reports with enhanced chart/map view of:
- School inspection record
- Indicator based report
- Inspector's usage report
- Audit trail for dashboard users
- Audit trail for inspectors
The system helped the officials and policy makers in improved planning, budgeting and timely execution of programs which in turn improved the schooling system.